Saturday, April 17, 2010

Beginning of the End

Losin' it? Losin' what? This could be anything. If you know me, I am always losing things, keys, money, pencils, anything really. Those with impure thoughts might think this is a quest to become a "woman". Honey, been there, done that. All of that is way off base. The idea here is to lose weight. However, as I begin this process, challenge, endeavor, or whatever you want to call it, I think what I might actually lose is my mind.

I joined a gym about a week ago. I have a treadmill and Wii Fit Plus at home, but I am so exhausted when I get home from work that my body melts onto the sofa almost immediately after walking in the door. I am hoping that if I stop at the gym on the way home from work, I might actually go and, get this, exercise. I like the recumbent bike and the treadmill, but my favorite part of this gym is the indoor pool. I attended two water aerobic classes last week and went swimming in a lap lane! I am no Michael Phelps (you won't find any pictures of me with a bong), but I really like the pool.

I started eating healthier. (If you had seen the way I was eating, eating healthier is not that big of a deal.) But I am trying. It no secret that I do not like vegetables. I do like La Suer (sp?) peas, in the silver label, and I do eat cucumbers. I eat lima beans but I was told those are not "green" vegetables. I tried to argue and say they are green and they are a vegetable but I don't think it is that simple. Something about limas being a "yellow" vegetable because they are a starch. Now I do like starches! Potatoes and pasta are among my favorites. And not just pasta, pasta in cream sauce. Now, do see why I could lose my mind before I lose weight?

So, here is the deal. I weighed myself a couple of days ago. My weight was 165 lbs. I am 5' 2", which means my BMI is in the obese range. Yikes! Plus a lot of my clothes don't fit. I probably have 20 pairs of jeans. But they range in size from 4 to 12. I keep the jeans from when I was smaller, hoping to fit in them once again. And there you have my goal, to fit into my size 4 jeans again. Plus, if I could lose weight and stay consistent, I could get rid of my "bigger" clothes and have more room in my closet. Oh, and I could fill up that empty space by shopping for more clothes in my new smaller size! This keeps getting better and better.

Motivation is neccesary and I have the perfect motivation. My finace's daughter is getting married in two months. I don't know that I can lose enough weight (about 45 pounds) to fit into my size 4 jeans by then but I do not want to be my current size. She is getting married on a beach for God's sake. I don't want to be mistaken for a beached whale! Plus I have the perfect dress. It fit me once, when I weighed 40 pounds lighter. I have it hanging on my bedroom door so I have to look at it every time I go in or out of my bedroom. Even if I don't lose the 40 pounds to wear that dress, I am determined to look better than I do now.

It is not just for the wedding. It is for me too. I see what look like in the shower. It is not pretty, at least not from my perspective. (Just wait until next time when I upload a picture of me in a bikini. It will all make sense then.) I want to feel better about how I look. I am not trying to attract anyone, I already have my man. And I want to look good for him too. I want him to be proud of how I look. He says he is (thanks, sweetie) but I think he will be prouder, even if he doesn't think so.

Let the losin' begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment