Saturday, May 1, 2010

Slow and Steady Wins the Race

We all remember the story of the Tortoise and the Hare. The hare, thinking he had plenty of time to beat the tortoise, goofed around until it was too late and then, too every one's surprise, the tortoise won. The moral of this story is slow and steady wins the race. I know that should be my weight loss philosophy, but I am running out of time. The wedding is in six weeks. I have lost 4 pounds. Slow and steady is driving me nuts.

Except for the week before last when I had a terrible cold, I have been to the gym at least six days a week. Typically, I walk thirty minutes, twenty of which I use hand weights. The treadmill has an electronic heart rate monitor so I keep an eye on that, making sure it is within the aerobic range. I can tell that it is making a difference in my endurance. I walked an extra thirty minutes today and it was no big deal.

Two days a week I do water aerobics. I love that. I work hard and push my body but there is just something about being in the pool that I really enjoy. I think part of it is the smell of chlorine brings back childhood memories. I spent a lot of time in the summer at the pool. Come to think of it, I stopped swimming frequently about the time I stopped walking and riding my bike all the time. It was also about that time I started struggling with my weight. Coincidence? I doubt it.

Except for last night's dinner and most of my food today, I have been pretty good about what I have been eating. (Last night I went to Sakuras, a Japanese steakhouse with friends from work; today, a cheeseburger with lettuce and mayo, leftover Sakura and a 4 inch steak and cheese with lettuce and mayo.) I have been increasing my fiber intake. I have been cutting way back on pasta, rice, potato, and bread. The only time I eat bread is when I have a sandwich. I started using deli flats which are whole grain white, 100 calories and 5 grams of fiber. I end up eating three sets of those during the day. I usually have 1 and 1/2 scrambled eggs on a deli flat for breakfast (5:30 a.m.), a chicken sandwich for a mid morning snack (about 9 a.m., hey it is better for me than a Snickers bar!), a chicken sandwich and a 100 calorie pack of cookies for lunch (12:15 p.m.), a banana (3 p.m.), and then dinner, whatever that may be. I have been eating a lot of fish and chicken for dinner. Come to think of it, that's a lot of chicken. If I break into the chicken dance, you will know why.

But the deadline is fast approaching. I have gone out on a limb and purchased a weight-loss supplement, with a 72 hour detox. I ordered it on-line, so it should be here around the first of the week. I just want to jump start the process. I am hoping that with the supplement, it will kick the efforts of eating better and exercise into high gear. We shall see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment